March 3, 2010

–noun. a ring, often a diamond, given by a man to his fiancée at the time of their engagement as a token of their betrothal.

Upon announcing my engagement, the number one question people ask is "How did he propose?!" Then people ask to see my ring. I think this is all reasonable, but I never get a chance to talk about my ring, which is a real shame.

Bobby and I picked this ring out together. What I really mean by that is that I picked it out while Bobby watched and then he pulled out his credit card at the end.





I love the ring. It fits my style perfectly and I can't stop looking at it. What I love the very most though, is the center stone.



The stone belonged to Bobby's mother, a woman I will never meet because she passed away almost 19 years ago. The diamond was given to Raquelle by her father for her own engagement ring. It was always planned that Bobby would give the diamond to his future fiancee, and is one of the few things Bobby owns that belonged to his mother.

I feel so humbled to wear it; it serves as a daily reminder to me that I am being trusted with a woman's most prized possession: her son.

I can't look at the ring and feel that it is truly mine. I know that I am only borrowing it for a time. It has made me think and realize how many things in our lives are truly borrowed. Our possessions, certainly, the people we love, and time. Everyday, every kiss, every touch is a borrowed gift that should be treasured. I can only hope I am treasuring mine adequately.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Kaitlin. SO beautiful. You and your ring. And your story. :) I love that you have that ring and that boy who comes with it. What a deal. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. will you forgive me if i don't do your flowers? :) haha....that class....
    your ring is so stunning and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You and your ring are beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete